Lares trek 4-day, the best hike to Machu Picchu. Visit the communities descended from the Incas, Willoq, and Patakancha.
Summary of the Lares hike 4-day
- A.M. 3 hours trip by private minibus from Cusco to Lares.
- Relaxation in thermal waters of Lares and lunch.
- 3-hour hike from Lares to Wakawasi
- Camp and dinner in the community of Wakawasi.
- A.M. Breakfast in the Wakawasi community
- 5-hour walking to Ipsay highest pass, and lunch in Ipsay Qocha (Ipsay lagoon)
- 3-hour descent to Patakancha camp and dinner
- A.M. Breakfast in the colorful community of Patakancha
- Soft hike of 2 and a half hours to the viewpoint of Yanawara (Sacred Valley)
- Lunch in Ollantaytambo and guided tour to the archaeological site of Ollantaytambo.
- In the afternoon, train trip to Machu Picchu Pueblo (Aguas Calientes)
- Dinner and overnight in a 2-star hotel in Aguas Calientes
- A.M. Breakfast at the hotel and travel by bus or hike to the Inca city of Machu Picchu.
- Guided tour to Machu Picchu for 2 and a half hours and then descend to Aguas Calientes
- In the afternoon, return trip by train to Ollantaytambo or Poroy – hotel in Cusco.
Detailed Itinerary of the Lares Trek 4 days to Machu Picchu
First Day: Cusco – Lares – Wakawasi.
To start the Lares trek 4 days to Machu Picchu, at 6:00 a.m., our expert team will go through your hotel in Cusco. Then start a trip in a private minibus to the town of Lares. While traveling for 3 hours, enjoy the stunning scenery because you will cross the Sacred Valley of the Incas and the Vilcabamba mountain range.
In Lares village, relax in the hot springs and enjoy your delicious lunch. After lunch, start the hike up an ascending road to the Wakawasi camp. You will spend the first night camping near the Quechua speaking community. You can interact with them – dinner at 6:30 p.m.
- Hiking length: 7 km / 4.3 feet.
- Walking time: 3 hours of moderate rise
- Lares trek Altitude: 3,250 meters / 10,662 feet.
- Hot springs: 30°C / 86°F.
- Altitude of the camp: 3,600 meters above sea level / 11,811 feet
- Difficulty: moderate increase.
- Food: lunch and dinner.
Second day: Wakawasi – Ipsay Pass – Ipsayqocha – Patakancha.
On this second day of Lares Trek to Machu Picchu, the route cook will wake you up with coca tea. After breakfast, start the uphill hike to the highest point of the classic Lares hike 4-day, Ipsay highest pass (4,350 meters / 14,271 feet) from where you will have spectacular views of the snow-capped mountains of Pitusiray, Sawasiray, and Veronica. You will also enjoy the most amazing Andean landscapes as you walk along the slopes of the hills and in the small agricultural areas where the natives still employ traditional ways of life, a place where the Spanish language is their second language.
Enjoy your comforting lunch on the shore of the Ipsayqocha (Ipsay Lagoon), an excellent place to relax and breathe fresh air. Then, continue descending towards Patakancha, where you will spend the second night of camping. Patakancha is an Inca descendant community where you can see the villagers with their beautiful and colorful costumes types.
- Patakancha: 3,800 meters / 12,464 feet
- Temperature: 6ºC / 38 ° F
- Walking time: 8 hours
- Distance: 13 km / 8.1 miles
- Food: breakfast, lunch, dinner, and snacks
Third Day: Patakancha – Yanahuara Viewpoint – Ollantaytambo – Machu Picchu (Aguas Calientes)
Today, you will wake up in a small colorful town that preserves the living culture, a natural area where Andean families continue to produce their own costumes, raising their own animals and believing in their own gods.
After breakfast, start walking along a smooth path to the Yanahuara viewpoint, from where you will have a beautiful panoramic view of the Sacred Valley of the Incas. Then down a zigzag road to the track, where your mobility will be waiting to take you to the lunch place, Ollantaytambo. Afterward, visit the Inca city, it is the only place where the current people continue to use the Inca enclosures as homes. Also, visit along with your tour leader to the archaeological site and admire the perfection of the work, sacred precincts, and the impressive hydraulic system.
In the afternoon, board your train to Machu Picchu, better known as Aguas Calientes, where you will spend the third night in a lodging establishment. Your train will depart at 16:36 or 19:04 hours (Train times may vary, depending on availability)
Aguas Calientes is a modern small city where you can find all the amenities such as the internet, restaurants, bars, ATMs and souvenir shops.
- Walking time: 5 hours
- Hiking length: 7 km /4.3 feet
- Ollantaytambo: located at 2790 meters / 9151 feet
- Machupicchu town (Aguas Calientes): 2050 meters / 6720 feet
- Travel by train to Aguas Calientes: 1 hour and 30 minutes.
- Overnight: in a 2-star Hotel
- Food: Breakfast, lunch, dinner, and snacks
Fourth Day: Visit Machu Picchu – Return to Cusco.
Today is your last day and highly awaited of the famous Lares trek 4 days. Have your breakfast at the hotel, then go up and explore the Historic Sanctuary of Machu Picchu escorted by your tour guide. The tour is 2 and a half hours long; First climb to the viewpoint from where you will have the panoramic view of the city of Machu Picchu, descend to the urban area and discover all its hidden secrets.
At the end of your tour, go up to Huaynapicchu or Machu Picchu Mountain on your own*. After all, catch the bus to go down to the Aguas Calientes town and have lunch on your own. Later, head towards the train station, take your return train to the Ollantaytambo or Poroy station. Upon your arrival, our staff will be waiting for you to escort you to your hotel in Cusco.
- Machupicchu Altitude: 2450msnm / 8036 feet
- Bus Aguas Calientes – Machu Picchu – Aguas Calientes (optional): 25 minutes up or down and walking 1 hour and 30 minutes, 1,700 km.
- Food: Breakfast at the hotel
*Climb up to Huaynapicchu or Machu Picchu Mountain is optional and you must make the booking in advance because they have limited spaces. Please do not confuse the Inca city of Machu Picchu with Machupicchu Mountain are 2 different places.
NOTE: Train times may vary, depending on availability.
What is included in Lares trek 4 days?
- a day before the trek brief informative talk
- Pick up from the hotel and transfer by minibus from Cusco to Lares
- Professional English speaking guide very well trained in hikes
- A guide assistant for groups of more than 9 people
- Professional cook in hiking
- Mules / Horses to transport camping and kitchen equipment
- Train tickets from Ollantaytambo – Aguas Calientes – Ollantaytambo or Poroy
- Mobility from Yanawara to Ollantaytambo
- Minibus from the train station to Cusco Hotel
- Entrance to the thermal waters of Lares
- Entrance ticket to the Inca city of Machu Picchu
- Access ticket to the archaeological site of Ollantaytambo
- 4 season tent for 2 people plus mats
- Large dining and kitchen tent, chairs and table
- First aid kit
- Oxygen bottle
- Food: 3 lunches, 3 dinners, 3 breakfasts (optional vegetarian)
- Boiled water
- 1-night accommodation in Aguas Calientes
What DOESN’T include in Lares hike 4 days?
- Bus ticket from Aguas Calientes – Machu Picchu – Aguas Calientes
- Sleeping bags (You can rent from us)
- Breakfast on the first day, lunch and dinner on the last day.
- Entrance to Huayna Picchu or Machu Picchu mountain
- Personal articles
- Travel insurance
- Additional horse
- Walking sticks (we can rent you)
- Tips (optional)
- To do Lares Trek 4 days, you must be in Cusco minimum 2 days in advance to acclimatize.
- For the best acclimatization, drink the infusion of coca leaves, you should take short walks through the city of Cusco on your own, or you can hire a short tour like the City Tour, the Sacred Valley, the salt mines of Maras – Moray (book separately).
- Wear suitable clothes for the trek
- Walking sticks
- Sleeping bags (we can rent it)
- A personal light backpack
- Sweater or thick coats.
- Personal stuff
- Caps or hats
- Rain poncho
- Hiking shoes
- Water bottles
- Mosquito repellents
- Toilet paper
- Energetic bars
- Plastic bag
- Camera with charger and
- Extra money (PEN).
Prices of the Lares trek 4 days
All our service is private (Exclusive).
Our service is personalized. The whole tour will be exclusive to your group, so you can fully enjoy your adventure. The group can be integrated by your family, friends, co-workers or special trips such as weddings, anniversaries, etc.
The price varies according to the size of your group.
Your group size
Price per person
All these services are not included in this package; if you wish, you must add it to your reservation.
- With 3-star hotel in Aguas Calientes US$ 20 per person. Hotel La Cabaña or Waman.
- For a 4-star hotel US$ 60 per person. Tierra Viva Hotel in Machupicchu.
- To climb to Huaynapicchu or Machu Picchu Mountain, add US$ 20 per person.
- Buffet lunch in the city of Machu Picchu US$ 20 per person.
- Vistadome train from Ollantaytambo – Machu Picchu Pueblo – Poroy Cusco US$ 37 per person.
If you want to rent a sleeping bag, a pair of walking sticks, an individual tent and book bus tickets, write in observations.
- Sleeping bag for the entire tour, US$ 12 per person.
- Supplement of a single tent, US$ 20 for the whole of the trip.
- Two walking sticks US$ 10.
- Aguas Calientes bus ticket – Machu Picchu – Aguas Calientes US$ 24 per person
We offer US$ 20 off.
- The discount is for the countries belonging to the Andean Community (Bolivia, Colombia, and Ecuador)
- Discounts for international students who have a valid and original university card. For further information, please click here.